Personally I do not use the libraries function present in Windows since Windows Vista. Basically I am stuck to the old school computer view showing all my harddrives and storage locations. It might be a good idea to manage all data with libraries, but I have not yet switched.
Now that windows 8 is a big deal, I again need my „my Computer“ shortcut in the taskbar. This is why I wanted the „My Computer“ as a button on the taskbar of my freshly installed windows OS. The only problem is that when you simply drop the present „Computer“ Icon from the desktop to your task bar it turns into the library icon. So you need to do some magic to accomplish this task.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to create a „My Computer“ shortcut in windows 8 (and probably all other versions). Simply follow these easy steps and you are good to go:
How to integrate a „My Computer“ shortcut in Windows 8 Taskbar:
- Right click anywhere on an empty space on the desktop and click on „New“ and „Shortcut“.
- Copy and past either location below into the location area and click on the Next button. (see screenshot below)
- Type „Computer“ or something u like as the name (it does not reall ymatter, since you wont see it by deafult) and click on the Finish button.
- Right click on your new shortcut on the desktop and click on „Properties“.
- Under the Shortcut tab, click on the Change Icon button.
- In the „Look for icons…“ line, copy and paste the path below and press enter.
- Select the Computer icon and click on OK.
- Click on OK again.
- Drag your new shortcut onto the taskbar to the desired position
- Thats it 🙂